This is the most thorough guide to getting a marriage license in St. Thomas or St. John Virgin Islands. And it turns out, the whole application process can take less than 15 minutes and is entirely painless if…
…you follow this step-by-step guide.
Here, you’ll learn how to get legally married in paradise quickly and easily. I’ll answer all of your questions about the Virgin Islands marriage license process. I’m also going to read your mind and answer a few questions that you may be thinking right now.
RIGHT NOW YOU MIGHT BE THINKING…
How the heck do we even start the process?
So you start asking yourself questions like:
Are marriages in the Virgin Islands legal in the United States?
Yes, marriages in St. Thomas and St. John, Virgin Islands are legal in all US states and territories.
I don’t know anyone on the island, how can I be sure the courthouse knows what they’re doing?
The Virgin Islands is a US Territory, therefore all of its courts are governed by US Federal Law and the US Constitution. And they process thousands of marriages each year. So yes, they know what they’re doing!
Is it safe to send money and documents thousands of miles away to a place I’ve never been to?
Our courthouse does an excellent job. They haven’t lost a license yet!
Did I just make a horrible decision?
No way! Marriage is awesome…and it’s even better when you start your marriage on a beach.
(You may also want to check out: 13 Things You Must Know Before Having a Wedding in St. Thomas after you finish this post.)
Believe it or not, our little rock is pretty experienced at weddings and elopements. We host thousands of weddings, elopements, and even vow renewal ceremonies each year between St. Thomas and St. John.
So you can trust that you’re in good hands to get legally wed.
If you need help with all the other details you might want to check out my St. Thomas Wedding Packages or St. John Wedding Packages.
US Virgin Islands Marriage License
- As mentioned earlier, St. Thomas and St. John are part of the Virgin Islands, which is a US territory. So your marriage license will be recognized in every jurisdiction of the United States.
- There are no residency requirements to get a marriage license.
- There is no waiting period to get your marriage license after you file the application. But note, the marriage application must be received by the courthouse 8 business days prior to pick up.
- There are no blood tests required.
- Same-sex marriages are legal in the Virgin Islands.
- Most foreign countries also recognize a marriage performed in the Virgin Islands through an additional document called an Apostille (see below under “Additional Items”).
- And lastly…the process is actually very simple, so don’t worry this post is so long. I just want to give you every possible bit of information you’ll need.
Steps for How to Get Married in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
The USVI Superior Court now allows you to file your marriage license application online. If you don’t have access to a computer or if want to download the forms, print them, fill them out, mail them in, and then stop by the courthouse in person, let me know and I’ll send you the instructions to do so.
- Go to the marriage license application page on the Superior Court Website
- Scroll past the long version of the application instructions and click “E-filing” on the bottom right of the page
- Select “Become an E-filer Today”
- Have both of your information (including social security numbers; divorce decrees/death certificates, if previously wed; and credit card) on hand.
- Submit your application
- Wait a week or two and email [email protected] and let them know you’d like to skip the courthouse and have your documents emailed to you directly.
- Get married by license officiant or minister
- Return signed marriage license to Virgin Islands Superior Court – you can skip this step since I’m happy to take the signed license back to the courthouse, get your certified copies and mail them to you!
MISCELLANEOUS STUFF FOR 2022
Same-sex marriages are legal in the Virgin Islands, as set forth in the 2015 US Supreme Court decision. For same-sex couples wishing to get married in St. Thomas or St. John, you simply follow the steps set forth above.
Non-US Citizens/Foreign marriages
I perform quite a few marriages for couples from Europe, South East Asia and South America.
You do not have to be a United States citizen to get legally married here. The entire process is exactly the same for citizens and non-citizens.
Some countries recognize US marriages without any additional documents other than your marriage license (Canada, for one). But many countries do require an additional document called an Apostille.
Every member country of the Hague Apostille Convention recognizes every other country’s marriages if you get the Apostille. Here is a list of the member countries.
It’s super easy and I take care of it after the ceremony. It can take up to 30 days after the wedding to receive it.
And that is all I have to say about that!
I hope you found this little guide enlightening. The idea behind having this guide is so that the entire process of getting married here in the islands is easy…and dare I say fun?
If you’re stressed or worried, then you’re missing the whole point of having your wedding in paradise. So just let us know how we can make everything easy and carefree.
If you’re looking for the simplest option, my officiant-only package is $395 in St. Thomas and $495 in St. John.
If you want a little more traditional – like flowers, photography, etc. then check out the packages. I can take care of all the details including arches, chairs, decor, wedding cake, and even rum!